The Government of Alberta is investing $200M in Climate Leadership Plan funds over 20 years to launch a new Community Generation Program.
- The program will support the installation of locally generated electricity projects.
- Applicants must demonstrate community benefits such as revenue from electricity production, local jobs, training opportunities, new social programs or new infrastructure.
- The program will support a “contract for difference” model that guarantees a rate of return for electricity production over the long term – locking in a rate for generators.
- Up to $50M will be dedicated to supporting community generation projects in areas affected by the phase-out of coal-fired electricity.
- The program will launch in fall 2019.