Venture capital investments reached $3.7B in 2018, 2% lower than last year, according to a new report by the Canadian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association (CVCA).
- There were 15 mega-deals ($50M+), which represents 30% of deals in 2018.
- These mega-deals included $161M invested in Ottawa’s Asset Compliance, $129M in Montreal’s Hopper Inc., and $103M in Montreal’s Milestone Pharmaceuticals.
- The average deal size was $6.1M, down 3% from last year.
- ICT companies secured more than two-thirds of the dollars invested, while life sciences companies secured 17% and cleantech companies 7%.
- $1.3B was invested through 165 deals in Q4 2018.