Remote First Nation communities in BC can apply for funding to transition from diesel to clean energy.
- The Renewable Energy for Remote Communities (RERC) program has a budget of $16.5M.
- It will support projects that help remote communities shift to renewable energy, moving away from polluting diesel generators to cleaner energy sources.
- RERC targets remote communities that currently are not connected to BC’s electrical grid.
- The program will be administered by Coast Funds and the Fraser Basin Council.
- Each delivery agent will request expressions of interest from remote communities this fall, followed by a full application process completed by mid-January 2020.
- Successful funding applicants will be announced in April 2020.