- The Indigenous Sport Initiative has four main objectives: to improve health, education and employability of Indigenous persons in Canada, and to reduce at-risk behaviour.
- The Indigenous Sport Initiative is addressing the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada Calls to Action #7, #19 and #38.
- P/TASBs have until July 5, 2019 to submit their project proposals for Stream 1 funding.
- Indigenous governments, communities and organizations and other delivery organizations have until July 19, 2019 to submit their project proposals for Stream 2 funding.
- Through Stream 1, $5.3 million will be made available annually to the 13 Provincial/Territorial Aboriginal Sport Bodies (P/TASBs) and the Aboriginal Sport Circle for the development of sport and physical activity community projects. These sport activities will help close the social-economic gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in Canada.
- For Stream 2, $3.6 million will be made available annually to Indigenous governments, communities and organizations, including delivery organizations working in collaboration with Indigenous communities for projects that promote sport and physical activity in Indigenous communities.