Canadian businesses secured $1.6B in venture capital (VC) investment in the first three quarters of 2015, showing a 15% increase in disbursements from the same period last year, according to new findings from the Canadian Venture Capital & Private Equity Association’s (CVCA) private capital market activity reports.
- 410 deals were completed in the first nine months of 2015.
- ICT captured 58% of total disbursements during the first nine months of 2015.
- VC investment in life science companies increased by almost 70% from Q2 ($303M) to Q3 ($511M) and represents 31% of total disbursements for the first nine months of 2015.
- Clean technology businesses secured $86M.
- Agribusiness secured $20M.
- Ontario businesses saw $708M in investment, followed by Quebec with $484M, and BC with $290M.
- Early-stage investing captured the $843M, seed accounted for $99M, and late-stage accounted $382M.