The Government of Canada has launched the Generating New Opportunities: Indigenous Off-diesel Initiative to help Indigenous communities move away from using diesel by developing cleaner community-led energy projects.
- The program has a $20M budget.
- Up to 15 communities will be chosen to receive hands-on support and up to $1.3M in funding to develop their community-driven energy plan over the next three years.
- At the end, leading communities will receive an additional two years of funding (total of up to $9M available to support several community projects) to move their clean energy project forward.
- To qualify as an Indigenous remote community, the community must: (1) have a majority Indigenous population; (2) not be connected to the North American electrical grid or the natural gas pipeline network; and (3) be a permanent settlement of at least five years with ten dwellings or more
- The deadline to apply is March 15.