The Government of Canada is challenging innovators to develop new cleantech solutions that cut energy consumption for crushing mined rock — a process that currently accounts for up to 3% of the entire world’s electricity generation.
- The $10M Crush It! Challenge tackles the disproportionate amount of energy used in mining to extract valuable minerals.
- This process has not fundamentally changed in more than a century; consumes more than 50% of the total energy used in a mining operation; is the industry’s largest operational cost; and is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions from mining.
- The Challenge will last 25 months.
- Up to 12 semi-finalists will be selected to pitch their concept in March 2019.
- Six finalists will each receive up to $800k to build and test their cleantech solution.
- Ultimately, the best breakthrough clean technology will receive a $5M grant.